Organized in Ebenezer Baptist Church, Rev. WH Banks, pastor, in October 1871. The following churches composed the organization: Canetuck, Moore's Creek, Ebenezer, Keathern Chapel, Friendship, Adoram, Newkirk's Chapel, Pike's Creek, St. Matthew, Providence, Lake's Chapel and Royal Chapel.
The first Moderator was the Rev. W.H. Banks; second, the Rev. WM Devane; third, the Rev. J.L. Fennell; fourth, the Rev. Andrew Carr; fifth, the Rev. Hayes Peterson, Rev. B L Rich, Rev. Robert P Jones, Rev. Andre Carr, Rev. Dr. Terry L Henry,
Rev. Harvey Robinson and Rev. Dr. Reginald Wells, who presently presides.
The first Baptist Church organized in Southeastern North Carolina was Canetuck, by the late Rev. Keathern, who also organized Moore's Creek, Keathern Chapel, Adoran and Friendship Baptist Churches.
The first secretary was the late Albert Fennel, Harrell's Store, NC; second, the late Rev. I.M. Powers, Wallace, NC; third,
Rev W.H. Moore, Wilmington, NC.
Ministers in the Organization
Reverends WH Banks, WM Devane, EJ Bell, R. Royal, Henry Carr, IM Powers, Stephney Carr, WH Anderson, Madison Johnson, RC Murray and Elijah Tate.
The North East and Cape Fear Sunday School Convention was organized at Lake's Chapel, Pender County, July 1882 by Rev. R. Royal, the first president.
First, Professor C.H. Smith, Second, Professor J. M. Powers, Wallace, N.C.
The Middle District Daughters of Zion was organized in 1876 by Mrs. W. H. Banks and Mrs. Mary E. McKenzie. Mrs. Banks was the first president; second, Mrs. Mary E. McKenzie; third, Mrs. Diannah Johnson; fourth, Mrs. A.M. Hayes Kee; fifth, Mrs. Lizzie Newkirk. Rev. R. Royal was first Counselor; second, Rev. A. Carr; third, Rev. H. Peterson.
The Middle District Ushers' Association was organized by Rev. W.H. Moore in Shiloh Baptist Church in 1907.
The BYPU Convention was organized by Rev. J.D. McCrae at Mt. Gilead Baptist Church, Rose Hill, NC, after being authorized by the Association in 1929. Rev. J.D. McCrae, President; Miss Lucille Murray, Corresponding Secretary; Mrs. Mary A. Fennell, Recording Secretary.
The Middle District Union Meeting was organized in 1872 by the Ministers and Churches composing the parent body.
Ministers and Deacons Union
Ordination Academy/Presbytery Board
BELIEFS AND OBJECTIVES
A. To uphold and teach the doctrine of the Baptist Church, and the policies of the Association.
B. To provide the arena and instrumentality for our member churches and auxiliaries to work corporately and cooperatively around the following concerns:
1) Spiritual Fellowship
2) Responding to needs of members and member churches
3) Support Shaw University and Shaw Divinity School
4) Support Home and Foreign Mission
5) Support the Unified Program of the General Baptist State Convention, Incorporated
6) Sponsor a Training Program for member churches
7) Provide Christian and Sympathetic Assistance and Counsel to churches
8) Provide support for an Ordaining Council in its efforts to maintain high Ministerial Standards so that churches in need of Pastors may place confidence in the council's decision
9) To enhance membership socially, politically and economically
10) To acknowledge outstanding achievement of churches and members throughout the Association